2018 Lenten Regulations
Feb 12, 2018
DIOCESE OF SPRINGFIELD
- Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of abstinence from meat as well as days of fast, when only one full meal is allowed.
- On days of fast two other meatless meals may be taken according to one’s needs, but together they should not equal another full meal.
- The other Fridays of Lent are days of abstinence from meat.
- The obligation to abstain from meat begins at fourteen (14) years of age.
- The obligation to fast begins at eighteen (18) years of age and ends at fifty-nine (59) years of age.
Although the faithful may excuse themselves for a just cause from these laws of fast and abstinence, there is an obligation to substitute another penance and no Catholic should lightly excuse himself/herself from this obligation in the Lenten season.